Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Poor baby

Well, today marks Ryan's first real illness. I woke up this morning, ready to start the day. Ryan was sleeping a little later than normal; so I was able drink my coffee, make his bottles, clean the kitchen, and begin getting dressed, all the while thinking, wow, this is going to be a good day! I didn't have to work today and we were starting his first real class at Gymboree. I was wrong...

I got him out of his crib at 8:15 and he was really hot and clammy. Hmmmm, that is not normal for him. I immediately fed him his bottle and he fussed during the last ounce, so I took it out and gave him his pacifier. He was juuuuuust starting to sit up and BAM! Projectile milk, everywhere, and it didn't stop there. Not having dealt with something like this before, it is weird how you just stop in your tracks, thinking "what do I do?". So, I sat him down stripped off his clothes and used a blanket to wipe him down. I called Wes and he was going to call and make a doctor's appt for me. I took his temp and it was 101, so I knew we were headed to the doctor. I took him to our bedroom, set him on the floor so I could throw on some clothes, and BAM! Again! Vomit everywhere. He looked so sad just sitting there in his diaper and kept crying Maaa Maaa Maaa. This time I find an old towel to wipe him down. I got both of us dressed and loaded him up in the car.

His body was so limp and he was white as a ghost! As soon as I strapped him in the car, you guessed it, more vomiting. Just when I thought there surely couldn't be anymore left in him! Now he was sitting in a pool of old milk and soaking wet. I about freaked this time. Knowing he just may do it again, I found one of his blankets in the car and cleaned up what I could and headed straight to the doc and just planned to change him there. He was so sad and pitiful. It is very hard to see a baby in so much pain.

Of course, this doctor's visit was the longest one in history. We were there for over an hour as I am trying to comfort a screaming 22lb baby in my arms, to find that his ears, nose, and throat were clear, no strep, and that it is just a virus. She prescribed him Zofran to help the nausea, some pedialyte, and tylenol. I took him home and my mom came over to help me out. I was given instructions to feed him just little bits of food, milk, and pedialyte a little at a time basically all day long if he could keep it down. So that is what we did the rest of the day. Eat a little, cuddle some, rock for a bit, and while he napped - we cleaned up the aftermath from the morning. Luckily, he has kept everything down so far. He seemed to be getting back to his old self this evening. Now he's asleep, so hopefully he will get a good night's rest and wake up feeling like a new boy tomorrow.

It is really hard to see something you love so much in so much pain and not be able to do much about it!

No comments: