Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sesame Street Soiree

Otherwise known as, Ryan's 1st Birthday Party. Our sweet little boy turned 1 this past Saturday and we had a Sesame Street themed birthday party at our house for our family and a few close friends. The timing was perfect because right as Ryan woke up from his morning nap, the party was starting. It was a pretty windy day, so some of the decorations didn't work out as planned, but everything else pretty much turned out just as I had hoped. We couldn't have asked for a better day to celebrate our little man.
Here are some shots of the decor. I was able to find most of the centerpieces and pennant sign from a cute shop on Etsy called Shindig Parties To Go.

The cake and cupcakes were done by a friend of ours, Ashley. Her company, Yay Yay's Cakes, does all types of cakes and other yummy treats. You should definitely check her out if you are ever have a special occasion!
I LOVED how the cupcakes turned out, I just sent her a pic and voila! She decorated them even cuter than the pics.
  Here was Ryan's smash cake - loved the little 1 in Cookie Monster's hand :)
Some of Ryan's second cousins were able to make it. Scotty is 16 months - they had fun riding in the wagon on our patio until Ryan started kicking Scotty's shoes because he didn't like them touching his feet. Then Scotty started pointing at everything on Ryan's face. It was pretty cute.

And sweet Will, who is 10 months, also was able to make it. I think he enjoyed Ryan's toys more than Ryan usually does!
After we all stuffed our faces with BBQ and chips-n-dips, it was time for Ryan to eat cake! I first tried to get some pics with his birthday hat on, but the boy HATES any type of hat. So, this was the best we got. I think he was trying to say, "I'm going to give you a knuckle sandwich"

After we sang to him, we let him have at it with the cake. He actually was just more interested in smearing the icing around rather than eating it which was surprising since the few times we have let him try anything sweet, he usually goes nuts over it.


He was pretty clingy the entire day; probably because he didn't like having 30 people in his house, so he never got too hyper until it was time to open presents. Then he let loose and went crazy after all the paper, as per usual.


He received quite a bit a loot from everyone. Wes and I got him his very own car (actually, his second car, if you count his walker as his first!) I foresee many, many afternoons/evenings on our back patio with him running circles in this thing.


He also received a tunnel, just like the one at his Gymboree class, and he has already broken it in over the past few days. He likes to hear his voice echo inside it.
Ryan learning how to play washers with his Aunt Allie
Ryan with CoCo and Poppy
It really was a perfect day, even though he will never remember it, we'll have such wonderful memories celebrating with everyone that loves this little boy. Happy Birthday Ryan - mom and dad sure do love you!

1 comment:

Amy Richards said...

So much fun! He's adorable. That's awesome that you used Ashley for the cake/cupcakes. She was a friend of mine at A&M, too (small world, right?). I need to remember her when my family needs a cake in Houston!!