Friday, September 4, 2015

First week of Kindergarten - WRM

The moment Ryan has been waiting for since last September is finally here. Big school. He has been asking about when he gets to start Kindergarten ever since we moved out to Katy. The elementary school is just across the street from our neighborhood entrance, so we pass it multiple times a day. It has served as a constant daily reminder for him and what he has to look forward to. So for the weeks leading up until the first day, he has been counting down the days. We had Meet the Teacher the week before school started, and he was pretty pumped. We walked over Thursday evening and had to wait outside in a line to enter the gym. He had held my hand to cross the street and once we got in line, I let go (to try and not embarrass my child too much!). He quickly grabbed my hand and asked me if I would hold it a little bit longer (cue the tears welling up in my eyes). I then asked if he was nervous at all and he looked up and nodded and said "just a little bit." He quickly became comfortable in his classroom and took to his teacher pretty fast. The kids were pretty cute just exploring the room and all showing off what they already knew (days of the week, how to count, etc.).
He wanted to understand what everything said, how his schedule was going to be, and where he would sit. It was so cute. He definitely was not ready to leave when it was time. Luckily, we were in Pointe West all weekend, because I think there would have been a few sleepless nights had we been at home. It helped pass the time for him and come Sunday evening, he was worn out. I was afraid he wouldn't sleep the night before, but he willingly went straight to bed. He was, however, up and dressed in my bedroom by 6:45 Monday morning. For the first time ever, he was cooperative for pictures. It was pretty cute because it was so muggy outside, my camera was acting up. So, he said to me "Mom, should we try more pictures after school?" Pretty sure that will never happen again. Here's Ryan on his very first day of school back in Aug 2011.......

....fast forward 4 years....
Time truly does fly!
He was seriously working the camera this morning
Even though I was looking a little rough, I wanted to get a pic with my first born on his very first day!
For the first 3 days of school, we were allowed to walk them into the school. He actually seemed less nervous on the first day than the did at Meet the Teacher. He did ask me to walk into the classroom first once we got closer.
He found his seat pretty fast and got started coloring. I asked if he wanted to go over and talk to his teacher, but he was being pretty shy and said no. Just as I was about to leave, he just stood up and ran over to her and gave her a big hug. I think he maybe got a little nervous that I was leaving and wanted some assurance from someone else. Shortly thereafter, he told me I could leave! He tells me that everyday he gives Mrs. W a big hug before he leaves to go home.
The days have definitely been long, but he seems to be adjusting really well. Better than I would have thought, actually. It's cute because I hear him talking to B and telling him how he is like dad and has to go to school for 5 days and then it is the weekend and he gets to stay home with them. I am waiting for the day when he asks, "do I have to go to school today?!?!" I am sure it's coming soon.

Since the very first day, they have crossed over the crosswalk to come home. They seem to have gotten the hang of it right away.
Ryan and his two buds from our street cross everyday together. Here they are on the first day that we didn't walk them in, navigating their way into the school like old pros.
And then enjoying some sno-cones after school with each other. 
It's been fun watching him grow into a little boy and he seems to feel pretty confident and ready to take on school. I think it suits him very well as he has always enjoyed learning and structure. Looking forward to a fun year as a Hayes Hawk!

No comments: