As many of you know, Wes and I have started the Paleo diet. Now, I had never heard about this "diet", or "lifestyle" as many people call it, until I began Crossfit this summer. Most everyone there lives by this diet to some extent. What is Paleo may you ask? Well, I don't know all of the science behind it, but basically it refers to the Paleolithic Era and eating like the cavemen ate. The diet consists mainly of meat, fish, fruits, veggies, and nuts (anything you could find on the land, like the Hunter-Gatherers!). So, anything that is yummy, is pretty much out, and if you can't pronounce the ingredients, it's probably out too. Now there are different levels of strictness, but we are trying to abide by the most strict form which excludes dairy products.
I have been wanting to lose the rest of my "baby weight" and thought I needed something drastic to make this happen. Wes was so sweet to support me in this and go along with all the craziness. To name just a few of my favorite things that I have recently given up, they include: cheese, Diet Coke, chips, Crave cupcakes, bread, pasta, all dessert, and pretty much anything I would eat when at a restaurant. We are allowing ourselves one cheat meal a week, which is almost impossible to avoid if you want any sort of a social life. Oh, and did I mention, we are just trying this for 30 days? Haha. We have just completed Day 11. It doesn't sound like a long time, but I have already lost some weight, generally feel a lot healthier, and can tell I have more energy when I work out. I did go through a 72 hour period in the beginning where I had a constant headache, probably from sugar withdrawals. I think I have detoxed now though and I'm not always hungry all the time like I thought I would be. We are thinking we will see how this month goes and then adjust our diet accordingly, depending on the results and our mental state.
We went to Pappasitos tonight, which was complete torture, but we felt a sense of accomplishment when we left having had resisted all the yummy goodness that Mexican food entails. We even took a pic just to capture everything that we weren't putting in our body. It's crazy to think we do this once a week and we would consume all of that!!
I even went to Whole Foods this week and bought weird stuff like Coconut Water and Almond Meal; I felt very out of place. Anyways, I am sure I sound crazy right now, but it has been kind of fun just really paying attention to everything you put in your body. I'll update again later with our progress!!
A Week in Our Life: Friday
9 years ago




1 comment:
Keep it up! I did the Primal Blueprint for a couple of moths then fell off really hard and haven't quite had the dedication to give it another go... I tell you what I slept better, had more energy and my migraines went away! I am proud of ya'll and if you can make it 11 days you can totally do 30!
Post a Comment