Sunday, September 14, 2014

First day of School - 2014

That time of year is FINALLY here- back to school! Ryan has had over a 3 month break from school, and although he really needed it at first, we were all ready to go back by the end of summer. He had been asking about it for a few weeks and was very excited. I think he was getting a little bored being home so much lately. The week before school started, we had the meet the teacher. He was anxious about going to a new school, but was asking me his teacher's names and what days he would be going, so I know he was excited too. Bradley had his meet the teacher first. I had been telling him for a few weeks he would be going to school and showed him his lunch box, backpack, and nap mat to get him ready.

He went in with me confidently, but as soon as he saw everyone, he clammed up. He hung on to me for dear life and buried his head in my chest. It was only a 30 minute meet-n-greet, but he stayed in my lap for about 25 minutes of it. He was so shy, the only times he got up was to go grab a baby doll and a few items from the play kitchen. He brought them straight back into my lap and then poked around at the baby doll's face. Of course, when the time was up and everyone but the teachers had left, he then gets up to start exploring and goes and sits down at the tables to start playing with the toys. It was then that I could not get him to leave and even threatened to leave him, but he didn't seem to care. It's funny because this is exactly how Ryan was at this age - so confident and loud at home, but so shy and reserved in public.

Ryan had his meet the teachers next and did wonderfully. He loved it so much, that he did not want to leave and was ready to start school right then and there. Both of the boys' teachers are just so nice and sweet, I was definitely happy knowing I think they will love it there and are in good hands with their teachers..

This past Tuesday was the first day of school. It was a crazy morning trying to get everything ready and on top of that, I was so sick this week, but I was determined to get their pictures to document such an important milestone (haha). Of course, nothing ever goes according to plan and although I knew B wasn't going to cooperate most likely, I did not expect the morning to start off so dramatic due to the fact he was wearing long sleeves. It set him into a tizzy and he was not having it.
Absolutely hating his shirt, so I let him hold his tooth brush to distract him

trying to tear it off

He looks so old!!!

Love my handsome big boy
 


still working on that dang shirt....

Didn't want to take a picture with his gear

finally tricked him into holding it for a quick pic

....yup....still hates the shirt

sweet brothers

So excited for school!
After being up and getting ready for 2.5 hours, I finally had them at school. Bradley remembered being there the week before, but this time he had no clue I would be leaving him. He kind of just stood around and watched me unload all of his gear, a little unsure of what was going on.

And then, it was time. I handed him over to one of his teachers and he just looked at me so scared. Then the tears and screaming came with the outstretched arms - so confused as to what was happening. I guess it helped that every kid was crying (at least it didn't make me feel quite as bad), but it made me much more sad than I thought it would. I quickly left before making matters worse, and went to drop Ryan off in his room. He quickly dropped his things and headed straight to the art center, making himself right at home.
I couldn't get out of there fast enough for him as he gave me a quick hug and told me bye. I love how confident and independent he has become. I can't believe that this time next year, he will be in kindergarten! 

Tuesday was also my first day back returning to my clients, so I was pretty busy. By 2:15, I was ready to pick them up and as soon as B saw me, he burst into tears. Not sure if he thought I wasn't coming back or was in disbelief to see me, but he lost it. His teachers said he actually napped great (which was a shock to me since he has never slept anywhere but a crib), ate well, didn't cry too much, and participated some but enjoyed observing more. We grabbed Ryan, who had such a great day, and headed home. Here is B showing us the playgrounds and where he played for the day.

When I asked Bradley if he wanted to go back tomorrow, he nodded his head yes. Pretty sure he didn't know what he was saying yes to. Although, when we talk about school, he heads straight to the back door and says "cool". They sent us home with a separate calendar for each child to show what they are doing for the month. I hung them on the side of the refrigerator and the boys are OBSESSED with them. Ryan goes over to it multiple times a day asking on which day he will be doing what and what the number for that day is, etc. Bradley, wanting to copy everything big bro does, follows right behind him and points to his calendar mumbling different sounds as he acts like he knows what he is talking about.

Ryan also goes to school on Wednesday (B does not), and then they both go again on Thursday. Bradley acted like he wanted to go again, but in reality, he did not!

It was basically the same story all over again, but maybe slightly worse since he knew what he was getting himself into this time. Hopefully in a few weeks, he will not be so scared because I think he will learn to love it just as Ryan has! Looking forward to watching them grow and make new friends at their new school.

No comments: