Thursday, April 20, 2017

Our move to Alabama

Our last night in Texas, we had GiGi over my parents' house for dinner for some Lupe Tortilla. I'm so glad we ate as much Mexican food as we could in that last month because in nearly 3 months of living here, we have had it a total of 3 times! I had to capture Charlie partaking in his nightly bath routine. Every single night we spent at my parents Charlie would get naked in the bathroom, then run through the living room to throw his diaper away. He would run as fast as he could all the while screaming, "I naked, I naked"!!! It was so stinking hilarious.


We got up the next morning, and I made a Shipley's run for one last time. After we loaded up the kids with sugar, then loaded up the car, we hit the road! Pretty sure the kids just thought we were just going to another beach house for vacation, but it probably made things easier that way.
 A few hours into the trip, this is what I looked back and found.

So sweet when he sleeps.
 Ryan got excited every time we crossed a state line, so I made sure to snap a few pics for him.

At one point Charlie was really gung-ho about watching a movie, so I got him all set up for a whole 5 min. I think the headphones fell off about 4 times and he watched a few scenes of The Incredibles before deciding he was done.

We stopped for Lafayette, LA for some burgers for lunch and got back on the road about an hour later.

 Crossing the Mississippi state line
I think at this point all of the kids had fallen asleep for a bit. We did have to take a quick potty break/ Starbucks run before completing the home stretch. FINALLY! Made it into Alabama!
Luckily, once you get into Alabama, Spanish Fort is less than an hour away. The kids were starting to get restless and asked us no less than 100 times how much longer we had. We made a quick stop to pick up dinner at Longhorn steakhouse to go home and have a picnic on the floor among all of the boxes. When we pulled into the neighborhood, it was pretty dark so the kids couldn't see much. We did video them going into the house for the first time. They were so excited! I had to break it into 3 parts so they all could fit.

Checking out their under the stairs room which has now turned into their little man cave!
 Charlie, checking out his room.
  Having our dinner in the living room.

   
 As much as they didn't want to, it was time to get ready for bed. 
We spent all day Sunday and Monday unpacking. My mom flew in Sunday afternoon to stay with us for about 10 days and help us get settled in. Don't think we could've done it without her! We would probably still be living out of boxes, not to mention that Bradley and Charlie were just out of control. Everything was so new and exciting, they just couldn't contain themselves. Ryan didn't start school until Tuesday, as I had to get all of the boys' immunization records transferred over to comply with Alabama state laws. He was pretty excited to stay with us for a day. Here he is on his second "First day of First grade" picture. It's standardized dress at his school, which makes it easy but also was a nice little investment upon moving here since his entire wardrobe previously consisted of Under Armour!

I walked him in on the first day to get him registered and situated. I got him over to Mrs. Goodwin's classroom right as school was about to start. He was his usual shy self at first. I assured him that everyone looked really nice, and as I said that, a little girl in his class shouted in her Alabama accent, "ya, we're all really nice here!"

He had a great first day and said he really liked everyone in his class. I got a call that afternoon from the librarian, who also doubles as the bus driver. She was so sweet to create a bus stop for him so that I could see him walk to and from the stop and not have to drag the kids in and out of the house everyday.

Meanwhile, we had been unpacking while Ryan was at school.
  
  
     
The next morning, we tested out the stop. This was his first time to ever ride the bus, so he was pretty excited and nervous. It went off without a hitch, and he's been riding to and from school ever since. He has to be out there by 7:20 which is quite a bit earlier than we were used to back in Texas. We used to leave for school around 8-8:05! If you look closely, you can catch a glimpse of our house in the back right part of the picture.

The little ones started school the following week at Spanish Fort United Methodist Preschool. Here we are waiting in the parking lot to take them in! They were both so excited and walked right in as if they had been going to school here all year long! I was shocked at how well Charlie adapted.
  I snapped a pic with B and his new teacher, Mrs. Miranda.
  Like I mentioned earlier, the little ones have had their fare share of ups and downs. Especially in the beginning, there were some really high highs and some really low lows. Here is a documentation of a major meltdown!

Bradley had been begging ever since we moved to buy some Skechers. My parents had given him some money as a gift before we left, and this is what he wanted to buy. He's been wanting Skechers ever since before Christmas (as I think I mentioned earlier in a previous post about a commercial he saw advertising them). We finally got around to ordering them, and I think he asked me no less than 50 times when they were going to arrive!!!
Lots to catch up on from our first few months of living here! Next up Mardi Gras!

No comments: