Wednesday, May 31, 2017

7 years - WRM

Seven seems like such a big number to me! It's crazy to me that we now have a second grader. Ryan is such a joy to raise. We have really hit the jackpot with him. I love watching him grow and succeed everyday. He's so smart, and kind, and a deep thinker. He loves to excel at whatever he does and will try his best to better himself on a daily basis. I can clearly see that he is learning right from wrong, and hope he continues to make good decisions in life. He is also an AWESOME big brother. It's easy to take it for granted at times, and Wes and I are constantly reminding each other that he is just a kid. Sometimes we can treat him as if he were much older and wiser than he is and we have to remember he is only 7! He is so, SO helpful with his brothers. Always getting clothes, even changing diapers, helping make lunch for them, comfort them when they are upset. He is just wonderful with them. I mean don't get me wrong, they fight like cats and dogs, but I don't know how I would survive most days without him as my helper!

He has really embraced the Alabama lifestyle. He loves his new school and new friends. He had a great time playing baseball this spring and meeting even more new friends. I think he has really enjoyed all of the exploring and beach-going we have been doing on the weekends, too. Now, we are beginning summer league swim team and I have a feeling he is really going to enjoy that as well. Here he is at Panama City beach earlier this month (I'll recap the trip in a separate post). I had just told him to turn around for a pic, and this is what he did! 

He loves to boogie board! He and I have had a lot of fun doing it together.
School pics are always fun and awkward! However, they are always too cute not to purchase!


Ryan had an awesome end to his baseball season. I am totally going to brag on this kid right now because, well, I can! From the beginning to the end of the season, he has been by far the most improved kid on the team. From a slightly strange batting stance, to a lot of nerves with the pitching machine, from start to finish has been a complete 180. He began the season batting 10th in the batting order and moved up to 5th by the end! He basically got to where he pretty much never struck out and was extremely consistent. Their team also went from winning only 1 of their first 5 games to winning, I think, 6 of their last 7 and ended up losing in the championship game, but fought hard until the end. Here are a few hits from his last couple of games. He told me how much fun he had and that he really wanted to play again next year, which is probably the first time I have heard him say that about baseball!


Ryan's school had an awards program the last week of school. We are so proud of what he accomplished in such a short time at his new school.
Here's half of the first grade class.


They would call out each child's name for whatever award they were announcing at that time, and the child would stand up.
He received Straight A honor roll, the distinguished Math award for the highest averages in the grade (about 10% of the kids received this), as well as Student of the Week and the Helping Hands Award (again, about 10% of the first grade received each of these awards). Funny thing about the helping hand award. He has told me on numerous occasions how his teacher will have him run all sorts of errands for her. From going to the cafeteria and filling up his teacher's cup with ice, to having to carry a chair outside for her everyday for snacks, it was pretty funny listening to him tell us these stories.
They called each child's name out individually to receive their folder of awards at the end of the ceremony.


Here he is with his teacher, Mrs. Goodwin.


He was pretty lucky to have her as his teacher. She was a perfect fit for him!


As far as measurements go, this is just my rough measurement as he didn't have to go in for an annual check up this year.

Height - 50.5" as of 5/31/17 (83rd percentile according to an online calculator)
Weight - 57.2 lbs (73rd percentile according to same Medscape calculator)

He currently is in a size 2 shoe, wears a youth Medium top and youth Small bottom. He's lost a total of 10 teeth. We've had to shift his bedtime a little since moving here because school starts so much earlier. We try to have them in bed between 8:15-8:30 because I have to wake him up by 6:45 for school. I am sure with summer here, we won't be so regimented. He's really become a great eater as of late. I am not sure if it has been partly due to the move or just getting older, but he is constantly wanting to try whatever it is we are having, especially at restaurants. He is really loving seafood and will have fish or shrimp almost everywhere we go. He had fried calamari the other night! He also is starting to branch out slowly with more veggies as well. He loves to read and draw still and is always very inquisitive. He loves to learn how things work and is always trying to solve problems. I love watching his brain work and can always tell when he is trying to work something out in his head. He is always thinking ahead, sometimes to his detriment as it can cause worry or even fights with his brothers (trying to figure out whose turn it should be next for whatever, etc.).

Here's the list of questions I try and ask the boys at least once a year without any prompting.....
Favorite color: Red
Favorite food: Pizza, Cheese Pasta, my spaghetti (crockpot spaghetti squash), Waffle caramel crunch ice cream (from a new custard place in Daphne), cantaloupe, Pringles
Favorite toy: Books? :)  puzzles and Legos
Favorite show: Lab Rats, Teen Titans, and Tom and Jerry
When I grow up I want to be: a worker at a restaurant. When I asked for more detail he implied a Chef
Favorite thing to play: Marco Polo, Magnatiles with his brothers
Favorite animal: a tiger
Favorite thing to wear: workout clothes (Under Armour in specific)
Favorite book: Magic Treehouse and Captain Underpants
Best friend: Garrett, Ann Riley, Noah and Ethan (from his new school); Matthew, Ashley, and Grant (from Katy)
What you sleep with at night: nothing :( He gave up the lovey once we moved here
Favorite song: pop music on the radio
What are you really good at: drawing, swimming, and learning!
Favorite thing to do with mom: Go out to eat and watch movies
Favorite thing to do with dad:  build things with him
Favorite sport to play: swim team, baseball, basketball, and soccer
Favorite place to go: Target, the YMCA
Favorite place to go out to eat: Boudreauxs, Moes BBQ, Blue Gill, and Fisher's in Orange Beach

So proud of this kid, and couldn't possibly love him anymore!!


No comments: