Our first night home was quiet. My mom kept the boys one more night at her house before bringing them back, so it was nice to settle in without all of the craziness that would soon ensue. Once they returned, life became real interesting. Surprisingly, Bradley just wants to hold and kiss Charlie. He must try and kiss him at least 25 times a day and reaches out his arms as if he could hold him or pick him up, it's quite scary. I can't leave them alone together for even 2 seconds. This was the big boys first real time to meet Charlie outside of the hospital. They both can't seem to get enough oh him (although I am sure that will change in the near future).
Ryan keeps saying the the top of Charlie's head smells like peanut butter!
Charlie seems to have his days and nights figured out from the beginning which is nice. He sleeps quite a bit more at night than he does during the day, and now even will stay awake for about an hour at a time after eating. He is a pretty good eater, albeit a little on the slow side and sometimes can take about 10-20 minutes before even getting started, but once he gets going, everything is fine. He also has been taking about one bottle a day from about day 5 and has no problem with that. I think he eats about 7 times a day on average and at night will go anywhere from 3.5-5.5 hours between feedings. Hopefully this is a trend that will continue and stretch out. It also seems like he has only been taking about 2.5 oz at a time when he has had the bottle.
He's quickly adjusting to all of the noise in the house and can sleep just about anywhere. He seems to be a fan of the swing and the bouncer, and will sit in them contently when he is awake. So far, he only seems to be fussy a few minutes after he eats while his tummy is digesting the milk and then he just looks around. IT seems like both Ryan and Bradley were like this their first few weeks, too, before they got fussy and harder to keep happy, so I am not just assuming things will be perfect!
One week old and very alert!
Every morning or after nap when I've come downstairs with Charlie, the boys go crazy to see who can come look at him first. B squeals with delight and starts screaming because he is so excited to see him, then he has to start kissing him (and sometimes trying to poke him in the eye or pull at his nose).
Charlie is going to need to learn to hold his own, and quick, if he is going to survive in this house :)
Our second week was a little busy because I already came down with mastitis which put me out of commission for about 48 hours. Thank goodness my mom was there to help or I am not sure how we would've survived the early mornings or afternoons when Wes wasn't there. We had Charlie's newborn pics last Tuesday and I think it went well - he slept the entire time and we were even able to get a few family pics! I also ended up taking him to the pediatrician last Thursday because his umbilical cord fell off at 8 days and wouldn't stop bleeding, so I was afraid it would get infected. Luckily, it wasn't and she just used some silver nitrate to cauterize it. He was also weighing in at 8 lb 9 oz (with clothes on of course), so not quite back to birth weight, but almost.
Charlie is still sleeping in our room, although we probably need to move him so he doesn't wake up to Wes' alarm, but I like having him near me and it makes late night feedings go a little quicker.
This kid can sleep anywhere (for now)
We sure do love you Charlie and think you will fit right in with all of these crazy boys!






















No comments:
Post a Comment