Sunday, September 22, 2013

1st Day of School

Ryan's first day of "Three's" at St. Luke's was a few weeks ago (Is started this post almost a month ago and am just now finishing it :). He was really excited to get back into the swing of things and could not wait to go this morning. I think this is one of the first times he has voluntarily smiled for the camera. He has been telling everyone for the past week about his new teachers Ms. "Chark" (Clark) and Mrs. Harris. Luckily he has some friends from last year and from his first year in his class, as well as a handful of new friends. I think it should be a great year.


When I picked him up today, his cheeks were flushed from playing outside, he told me all about the new big boy playground he graduated to, and showed me the painting he made for me. I think he had a great time. Then, I put him in the car and asked him some questions about what all he did and who he played with. For the first time ever he said, with attitude I might add, "Why are you asking me all of these questions?" So apparently, first day of school, means he is all of a sudden too old and grown up for me to be asking him questions :(

Here is a comparison from last year to this year. So crazy how young he looked last year!

Since Ryan is about a week away from turning 3 and a half (I can't believe it), I figured I would jot down a few things I want to remember about this age.

Over the summer he learned all of his letters and numbers and can identify all of them (except some lowercase, so I guess that is next). He's been completely potty trained for about 4-5 months with only a handful of tinkle accidents (usually while sleeping). He still loves playing with his fire station, puzzles, coloring/painting, his Super Why ABC game, watching movies in his room, and playing with all of Bradley's toys. Funny how kids revert back once lil siblings are around. He takes his role of big brother very seriously. I really can't put into words just how great of a big brother he is. He truly cares for B and watches out for him, always willing to help out, will go talk to him in his crib, and wants him to grow up so fast so that he will have a companion.

We are still taking swim lessons and over the past few weeks he has really made a turn for the better. He got pretty freaked out at the beginning of the summer once we started getting in pools other than where he takes swim lessons. He basically reverted back to a year ago and was determined that he did not know how to swim. Luckily, we have come a long way over the past 4-6 weeks and I think he has his confidence back. He can swim about 8-10 yards without assistance and his now so proud of himself.

He is still completely obsessed with Insanity. I have been doing the Insanity DVDs for a few months now since trying to get to the gym is next to impossible. Well, he quickly caught on and since he is basically a 3 year old in a 30 year old's body, he of course wanted to partake. So, it has become almost a daily routine of his. Whenever I work out, he is my lil buddy right beside me doing all the moves (and a lot of times, better than I do). He really does hold me accountable, who knew?!!? So one day, I put on my workout clothes to take him to school so that I could work out once we got home since Bradley would be taking a nap. He made sure to ask me to wait on him to workout, and I kind of blew it off. So, I worked out, showered, and went to pick him up from school. The very first thing out of his mouth when he saw me in my normal clothes was, "Did you workout without me?!?!" He was so upset that when we got home, he made me put the DVD on in his room so that he could get his exercise in. Obsessed much?!

It's so funny how he just wants to be so much like a "candult" as he calls adults. He very recently has decided that he may not want chocolate milk anymore and just wants cold milk (white milk) because that is what his friends at school drink. HALLELUJAH!!! Definitely a time peer pressure wearing off on him is a good thing. He also regulates himself on sweets sometimes and will say it is because the cookie, fruit snack, etc. has too much sugar. Haha!

Ryan's personality is tough to put into words :) He can not tell a lie. He actually tells on himself when he has done something wrong. He has such a lust for life and loves every minute of. He runs everywhere, talks at the top of his lungs, doesn't stop talking for that matter, loves to help out with whatever it is we are doing, hates missing out on anything, is super intense, and is just a happy kid all around.

He goes to bed around 9 pm (trying to make it earlier, slowly but surely) and wakes up anywhere from 7-8 am. He naps about 4-5 times a week for 1.5-2 hours. Luckily, he still naps at school because most of the other kids do. He usually only skips them when we have things to do or if he hasn't exerted enough energy in one day.

We were in charge of making homemade play dough for September for his school. It was pretty cool to make, actually :)
 We picked up donuts before meet the teacher a few weeks ago! He was in Heaven!
 My guys :)

I asked Ryan a few questions that I want to start doing every 6 months to a year and wrote down his answers verbatim. Some of which I know are not true, but whatever.....

Favorite color: Blue
Favorite food: Blueberries, Strawberries, Cantaloupe, Corndogs, donuts, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
Favorite toy: Puzzles
Favorite show: Monster's Inc., Barney, and Dora the Explorer
When I grow up I want to be: First answer was Ryan, next answer was a grown-up
Favorite thing to play: I already told you (puzzles, I guess??)
Favorite animal: dragon
Favorite thing to wear: blue exercise shorts and workout shirts  (hence his obsession with Insanity)
Favorite book: Cars Seek and Find book
Best friend: Mommy and Brooke, Peter and Finn from school
What you sleep with at night: Puppy, lion blanket, monkey blanket, and Cars pillow

Of course he also threw in some random answers that I did not include such as "coasters as one of his favorite foods." He is very literal and also likes to just answer questions with things he sees around the house or wherever he is at the moment because he thinks he is so funny.

He really seems to be turning into a little boy and not so much of a toddler anymore. Wes and I talk all the time about how sad it makes us that he's growing up, but are so proud of the little boy he is becoming!

No comments: