Thursday, April 10, 2014

4 years old - WRM

My first born is 4 years old!!! Where has the time gone? That's basically the length of a high school or college education, haha. Ryan really is just such an awesome kid and seems so much older than he is, which makes me sad. I feel like he is an old soul living in a kid's body. He is so sensitive, sweet, thoughtful, caring, you name it. He is always thinking about others and will just randomly give hugs and kisses or ask to sit with me. He does not like confrontation with others, like to get in trouble/disappoint you, and is not very aggressive.


He is such a smart and interesting kid. The things he says, leaves me in stitches day in/day out. He has such a great vocabulary and really tries to use correct grammar and always correcting himself. He uses adverbs correctly and verb tense as well. Here are a few things I have jotted down over the past few months.

*We were driving down by Highland Village after school one day, when Ryan spotted the Apple Store. Out of nowhere, he says to me, "Hey, isn't that where your phone is from?" I ask him how he knows that and he said, "because it's the symbol on the back of your phone." Something I never pay attention too, but when you spend so much time playing games on iPads and iPhones, I guess you learn a thing or too. He asked for my passcode the other day (just to get it unlocked, not iTunes), so I guess I am going to have to start dealing with that.

*He has started grasping the concept of dying, to an extent, and has many questions about it. He calls it "when we move to live with Jesus" which is a nice concept, that you just pick up and move in with someone else, but it is also slightly confusing. He has asked if he gets to take his puppy lovey with him, if we will wear shoes, what all we need to bring etc. He does understand that some of his great grandparents are in Heaven and no longer with us. But it gets hard to explain when he says things like "well, if I eat really healthy and sleep good, I don't have to move in with Jesus." He also wonders who is going to be his parents when he becomes a daddy one day.

*Along those same lines, he has not been super excited about getting a second brother. In his words, "I already have one brother, I don't need another one." (Sidenote- one day he just told me that he thought Bradley was so cute and hoped that he never got bigger. Love him!). So one day, I was driving him to school and he says to me "How do I get a baby sister?" and I can't remember exactly what I said, but something to the extent of, well God gives us what we need and knows what is best for our family, etc. He was so sincere in just asking how God knew what we needed and that he wanted to ask for a sister and that we would just need 4 kids so he can get his sister one day. It was so sweet and innocent. That conversation has turned into may more discussions of how this new house will only have 4 bedrooms and once his sister gets here, we will need another house for her. He's got everything planned out. I have to remind him that his 2nd brother isn't even here yet!
Loves his brother
*He is also very literal when he says things and just calls it like it is. He takes things he hears us say and will repeat it to others (without us ever really knowing what we had said soaked in with him).
- "I've got some news. B is getting his molars. (This was commonly told to people during the crazy teething month of December)
- As we have noticed a few bugs in the house, he told me "You need to text Ms. Wanda and tell her to come get rid of the bugs while we are out of town."
- Wes was making a list of stuff to get at Lowes and as we were talking, Ryan chimed in, "Get a lightbulb for my room" (there was a light out in his fan).
- He is always keeping tabs on my belly size and will tell me how big I am getting and that "I am going to need to go to the hospital soon to get that baby out."
- The other night we were at dinner and when the waiter came by, he ordered "A Hamburger and said he wanted the hard stuff" Not sure what that meant.

*Ryan can not keep a secret for the life of him. He can't tell a lie. When anyone gives him a cookie or a piece of candy, when he sees me, he immediately tells me. I also had some morning sickness at his school a few weeks ago. It wasn't pretty. As soon as I go to drop him in his classroom, he tells his teacher and every other parent that was within earshot. Just what everyone wants to picture at 9 am.

As for his routines. He is a decent eater. I can get him to eat quite a bit of variety, when we plan it and make him, but he is still so slow (especially at dinner) and sometimes can take up to two hours to eat. He still goes to bed around 9 pm, although we are trying to make it more like 8:30/8:45 since he has dropped his naps during the past 3 months. I know he needs more sleep and he won't wake up until 7:30-8:30 am. On school days, that's no good considering we have to be out the door by 8:30. So, we need to fix this! He wears 5T clothes and size 10-10.5W shoes - big kid :) He LOVES to sing and we think he actually has a pretty good voice. He actually sings in tune and probably has the best voice of the family by far!

His stats at 4 years were:
Weight - 42 lbs (89%)
Height - 42.5" (3 ft 6.5 inches) (91%)
BMI - 16.33 (72%)

Things he has learned over the past year include: learning to recognize Upper and Lower case letters of the alphabet as well as his numbers; he can write each letter of the alphabet as well as his name; he can count to 30 and count backwards from 10; He loves to try and do everything on his own. He likes to brush his teeth, get himself dressed, brush his hair, floss, etc. He told me the other day, he wants to learn to tie his shoes (he doesn't even have any shoes that lace up!).


Such a helper in the kitchen!
He loves going to school as well. He has asked me why he can't go to St. Luke's again next year, and it makes me so sad. We have loved the school so much and it will be hard to adjust to a new place, but I know he will be just fine.
Learning about Recycling at school
He has been playing soccer with friends from school which has been really good for him. Since he is very passive and sensitive, I think it has been good to expose him to more of a team sport and gets him running around. We still go to swim lessons once a week and he has really improved the past month or so. We were so sick for a while, that is was easy to skip and he wasn't progressing, but now I finally feel we are getting somewhere. He can swim the width of the pool (not length) with both arms finally coming out of the water and turning to his back when he needs to breathe.

He loves to play with friends and cousins. Once we play with one person, he won't stop talking about them for days, weeks, even months later sometimes. He'll randomly ask, "when can we go back to ____'s house?" Here we are recently with second cousins, Will, Jackson, and Izzy.


I did this about 6 months ago and decided to do it again (plus a few new ??s); however, his answers didn't vary too much.....
Favorite color: Blue (same as 6 months ago! at least there's some consistency)
Favorite food: Fruit was his answer (more specifically Blueberries & Strawberries) Corndogs, yogurt raisins, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
Favorite toy: Trucks and LeapPad
Favorite show: Frozen, Cars and Jake & the Neverland Pirates
When I grow up I want to be: "Well, I am not going to grow into a Doctor" said he wants to be a boy and play
Favorite thing to play: Like to go to the park, jump on the trampoline ("that we never let him play on" his words not mine, oops), play with my brother
Favorite animal: Immediate response - I don't like elephants, crocodiles, alligators (they are too scary); likes Giraffes and dogs
Favorite thing to wear: workout clothes (same answer as 6 months ago)
Favorite book: books about Trains, Children's Bible, Cars storybook
Best friend: My brother :) Owen, Finn, and Jon Douglas (all from school)
What you sleep with at night: Puppy, lion blanket, monkey blanket, and Cars pillow (still the same) except now he has a Thomas the Train big blanket he sleeps with as well
Favorite song: Likes me to sing Baby Beluga to him
What are you really good at: draw numbers
Favorite thing to do with mom: Like to go out to eat with me (go figure) and play together
Favorite thing to do with dad: Work on Legos and wrestle 
Favorite sport to play: Swimming (after my own heart!)
Favorite place to go: Great Wolf Lodge, La Torretta, Steamboat (all his recent vacations, of course)
Favorite place to go out to eat: Jimmy Changas (haha, new Mexican restaurant in Katy)
We love you so much and can't wait to see what you are like as a big brother X 2!!

No comments: